Last Updated: 06 January 2015
Korfball is the ultimate cooperative team sport. Its rules are set up in such a way that all solo play to score is impossible. Korfball is the only originally mixed team sport in the world. Created in 1902 in The Netherlands by school teacher Nico Broekhuijsen, now korfball is a global sport that has 63 countries as a member of the International Korfball Federation (IKF).
The IKF mentions these core characteristics of korfball:
- korfball is a ball sport played by hand,
- korfball is aimed at a korf (basket),
- korfball is aimed at a goal that can be approached from all sides,
- korfball is aimed at a goal that is high enough to discourage dunking,
- korfball is based on cooperative play,
- korfball is a mixed team sport where men and women compete on equal terms,
- korfball is a 4-4 duel within a rectangular division,
- korfball is a sport where all-round skills are encouraged,
- korfball is a sport where contact is controlled.